Thursday, September 22, 2011

Sixteen - Weyerbacher

Style: Braggot
Served in: Pint Glass
Size: 12 oz
ABV: 10.5%

Appearance - Dark, almost black, with a reddish-orange hue in the light.  A mild head at best, but lacing all down the glass as I am drinking.

Smell - Earthy sweetness and mild malt.

Taste - There are malts up front with intense but fleeting sweetness, while there is bitterness throughout and honey on the finish.  Very full bodied flavors.  I can taste some faint alcohol up front, but given the ABV I'm not too surprised by this, it isn't a big problem.

Mouthfeel - Much thinner than I had expected in the texture, and probably medium at most in body. 

Overall - This brew is quite a depart from most styles I drink, and after researching they style I am not surprised- the Braggot is an old style (originally Welsh) ale that is based on a mixture of beer, mead, and honey.  Sixteen (my first of the style), offers complex sweetness, malts, and a nice bitter touch.  The mouthfeel allows for an easy drinking experience, and my only issue would be with the alcohol taste, though it wouldn't prevent me from picking up some more.  Overall I would score Weyerbacher's offering a 90, and encourage craft beer nuts to give this interesting beer try!

No comments:

Post a Comment